Hope You Can Help Me

I’d like to hear the history behind the places where you live. For example, if you live in the Willamette Valley in Organ, you might share about the pioneers that came on the Organ Trail. You don’t need to do any research (unless you really want to :grin:), general facts will do. One reason I’d like to hear your town history is because I have a history report coming up in school and I need information. So I hope you all can help me out. :grinning:

2 Likes

History of my town:

We had a lot of mining done here back in the days of 1849. In fact, you can still see evidences of that. The Feather River was dredged and mined heavily as were other areas. Also we have one of the world’s largest earth filled dams that spans the Feather River. The dam has a concrete core and is over a mile long. A Pineapple Express swept through in 2015 and melted the snow on the mountains. So much water rushed down the spillway that the spillway began to erode. At the worst, you could have fit serval hundred houses in it; it was that huge. The officials evacuated the town because they thought the dam might break, but it stayed strong! Today the Oroville Dam and visitors center are a tourist attraction.

2 Likes

I guess you could also say that CA is famous for its wildfires?!

We’ve had several large ones the last couple years due to PG&E’s mismanagement of power lines, esp. high voltage lines. :frowning_face: The three worst ones we had were the Camp Fire in 2018, the Complex Fire in 2020, and the Dixie Fire this year.

1 Like

I highly recommend googling “videos of the Camp Fire in 2018”. My favorite is: Paradise Lost: Inside California’s Camp Fire, 60 Minutes’ 2018 Report. Almost gives you the shivers!

1 Like

It all began with a European explorer, named Italian Giovanni da Verrazzano in 1524. European settlement began with the Dutch in 1608. The “Sons of Liberty” campaigned against British authority in New York City, and the Stamp Act Congress of representatives from throughout the Thirteen Colonies met in the city in 1765 to organize a type of revolt against all the Crown policies. The British wished to gain it for location and seaport. The British thus occupied NYC and attracted lots of Loyalists. The city served as the national capital under the Articles of Confederation from 1785 to 1789, and then only served as the new nation’s capital in 1789–90 . The new found government hosted an inauguration for George Washington as the first President of the United States, (even though he only narrowly escaped quite a few battles attempting to gain NY) he drafted the United States Bill of Rights, and the first Supreme Court of the United States.

I feel like New york is known for food, and fashion and BASEBALL…(Also a few political things that I am not getting into…LOL)

2 Likes

P.S This is KIM, and I never freaking said that I am from New York City. Well I am. LOL
I also legit don’t think that I helped you at all…LOL
New York City pretty much just started out as one big trading post…and downhill from there…LOL

1 Like

Interesting!! New York City has some of my favorite history in it! History that includes stuff about colonial days and the early stages of the US is some of my favorites.

1 Like

yes, there is alot of history in most places I think. Hah. I am glad you enjoy the history of my city

2 Likes