Why should we learn to touch type?

Is it really necessary to learn touch typing?

Hi,

Touch typing will always be necessary for people exposed with computers.

Homeschool Activities - faster typing means it is easier to take notes, write journals and collaborate online.
Computerized Tests - test are now available online and knowing how to use the keyboard provides less worry when typing.
Daily Activities - with technology being used in almost anything, we definitely need to improve our keyboarding skills to achieve our goals. Typing is needed for social media such as Youtube, Facebook, or Instagram.
Future Jobs - any student that wishes to have a career in the technology industry will need to have typing knowledge (video gaming, blogging, etc.)

Best Regards,
Lyka Remeticado
Community Associate at Typesy

Hello, @karishmastein!

Am I right in assuming you are referring to the necessity of touch typing over other methods of typing?

If so, great question! As the world continues to rely more heavily on technology, the ability to type has become a necessary skill, and a mastery of touch typing simply means that ability is the most safe and effective it can be.

I like to have my students consider the time saved across an entire lifetime. If you were to hypothesize the time spent typing over a lifetime, you’re sure to be shocked. Proficient, relatively speedy touch typing may not seem to be a skill that makes much of a difference every second of every day, but those seconds, minutes, and hours add up over a lifetime.

The longer someone goes without formal keyboarding training, the longer they have to build bad habits, too. While it might seem fine to use your own method of typing - especially if you’re pretty proficient at it - the long term effects can include irreversible physical harm so should not be taken lightly. It’s crucial to develop good habits to avoid any potential for permanent damage.

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)