Weak finger in touch typing

My pinky fingers are weak in touch typing. How can I treat this?

Hi there,

You wouldn’t expect a newcomer to your mountain-climbing club to be able to reach the peak of Kilimanjaro the first day they put on their hiking boots, so don’t expect to instantly change your typing speed from 30wpm to 90wpm. Don’t set your self up for disappointment by thinking you’ll instantly achieve success – in typing or in anything. Instead, define a series of “mini-goals” you will strive to achieve along the journey towards reaching your ultimate goal. Breaking a goal up into smaller goals, or milestones as they’re sometimes called, is an effective way to avoid feeling overwhelmed. Failing to achieve a mini-goal has another important benefit – the consequences of missing a mini-goal are not as big, but they’ll still motivate you to get back on track. Each time you reach one of your mini-goals, be sure to reward yourself for a job well done. How you reward yourself is up to you. Just do what makes you feel better, whether that’s eating dinner at your favorite restaurant, treating yourself to something new, or spending undisturbed time at the museum, beach, or other favorite location. When you take time to reward yourself for achieving these mileposts along the way, you are more likely to stay motivated long-term. What’s even better is that each time you achieve a mini-goal, you get one step closer to achieving your ultimate goal and the feeling of satisfaction that goes along with it. Finally, some people find it easier to achieve their goals when they write down their thoughts and experiences along the way. If you write about obstacles and how they were overcome, mistakes you made along the way, and things that facilitated your journey as they happen, you can look back at the process to see what’s been working, and what’s been standing in your way of success. If you’re not fond of using a pen and notepad, don’t. Instead, why not document your journey in a blog or word processing document. Doing so will provide you with an opportunity to do the one thing that will help you achieve your touch typing goal: PRACTICE! There are also numerous online typing tools that guide users how to master keyboarding. One good example is Typesy. The program has a step-by-step process in training how to touch type. With enough practice and dedication combined, you can achieve your touch typing goal as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
Aidan Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

1 Like

Hi there,

You can also try finger exercises. I know, it sounds weird. But it works. Try something like scrunching a towel in your hand, squeeze as hard as you can and hold for 5 seconds. Release. Repeat this 10 times with each hand. Over time, your pinkies will get stronger and hopefully have more dexterity.

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)

1 Like

Well I have the same problem but what I try to do when that happens is take a deep breath and focus on the letters, not your fingers that are typing the letters. So I hope this will work for you too!

~Diamond Bunny

@oliwiergay and @emdoggy7 - just be careful! Make sure what you’re experiencing is finger muscles developing and not the opposite. Numbing pinkies is one of the signs that you may be abusing your hands when typing. Numbing or tingling is caused by pressure on the nerves running up and down your arms. Make sure you’re using proper posture and hand positioning to avoid this type of nerve damage.

It is totally normal to tire out your fingers when first learning to touch type, but it’s also good to know the signs of misuse, too. I hope you’re both being safe!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)

1 Like

I sure will be carful. Very very very very times 100 super duper very very very carful.

1 Like