Typing Goal for a 3rd Grade Student

I am teaching students in 3rd grade and I am curious as to what WPM and accuracy percentage should I set as goal.

Hi!

For a 3rd grader student, 100% accuracy and 15 WPM is the standard typing goal.

Best Regards,
Arella Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hi there, @kritinabrooks!

To help in setting goals for your students, it may help to know a few typing statistics. In general, the average typist can type 41 WPM; typing at or above 57 WPM is deemed above average. An average typist should be maintaining an accuracy rate around 92%, about 8 mistakes per 100 words. To improve on accuracy, students should slow their typing to focus more on typing correctly rather than quickly. As the amount of mistakes lowers, only then should students be pushing for a higher WPM.

Of course, it is unrealistic to expect your younger students to meet these goals already. It is likely that students in your class will be at differing levels of typing proficiency. Before formal keyboarding training, students will be utilizing hunt and peck or self-taught methods. This means you may even have proficient typists but will need to have them relearn to transition to touch typing. A student’s comfort with typing will be tied to their experience with the keyboard so far. Be patient and know that persistent practice is the only true way for students to improve!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)