Is 120 a good typing speed for 12-year old?

Some of my friends say I type really fast. It this really fast enough?

9 Likes

120 wpm is an amazing typing speed for a 12-year old. Typically, the average typing speed of boys in a similar age range is 44 wpm, while the average typing speed for girls of the same age range is 37 wpm. Additionally, the average professional typist typically only types at speeds ranging from 65 to 75 wpm. Other professional positions, such as emergency dispatch services, look for typists with a typing speed of 80 to 95 wpm. There are some professions that prefer typing speeds of approximately 120 wpm, and these are extremely advanced positions with favorable pay grades. So, to have such an advanced typing speed at such a young age is not only impressive, it’s beneficial to your future depending on your career goals. Continuing to practice and perfect your ability to touch-type will help you in school as well as later in life when you’re an adult, so even with an already-advanced typing speed, you should continue practicing.

2 Likes

I’m 12 and I type at only like 20 WPM!

3 Likes

I usually have about 30WPM. (give or take):grinning: Usually it is a little under and closer to Squeezer’s WMP.

2 Likes

Well this is not bad though at your age, I can tell it is already average. But practice will make you more skillful. Just keep on practicing and definitely you’ll improve more on a daily basis.

4 Likes

120 is amazing I’m a similar age and can only do around 40 wpm

3 Likes

Well at your age 40 WPH is not bad perhaps you just need more practice in order for you to familiarize yourself where the letters are placed so that once you are already familiar then I can guarantee you that you’ll improve more in your speed of typing.

2 Likes

Lol im 12 and I type 75

2 Likes

Wow! That’s really great. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow! Some of you are really fast typists!

Just a friendly reminder that a high WPM with low accuracy is not a desirable goal. Ask yourself: when I type as fast as I can, am I typing perfectly? The amount of time needed to correct typing errors should be taken into account when testing a true WPM.

In times past, when typewriter typists were tested on their ability, their WPM score was reduced by 10 for every mistake made within a minute long test. So a speedy typist may clock in at 50 WPM but make 3 mistakes, dragging their overall score down to 20 WPM.

It would be interesting to know - using the 10 point deduction rule, what are your WPM scores now?!

Regards,
Typesy Team

4 Likes

Hey, everyone! I just wanted to comment on what @Kerry said, when I’m doing bad on a coerce it tells me to be focused on being accurate, not being fast! Being fast is truly fun, helpful, and sometimes even necessary. But when I get 100 on accuracy! I think that’s better then going fast!

2 Likes

Wow, I think everyone here types faster than me. …

2 Likes

@Squeezer - I completely agree! For me personally, I enjoy typing really fast but tend to start making enough mistakes that the higher WPM is not worth the lower accuracy rate.

@AGM, the average typist types at 41WPM, so it all depends! If your current WPM is higher than it has been in the past, I’d say you’re on the right track!

Regards,
Typesy Team

4 Likes

I’m 12, and I type at 130WPM, with 97% Accuracy on almost everything, a spelling mistake here and there but quickly fixed due to me having fast reflexes, I don’t really know… is 130 Good?

3 Likes

Yes, 130 is wonderful. The average typing speed is 40 WPM! So you are doing superb. Keep it up and you’ll get to wherever you want!!

Wishing you luck!-AGM
1 Like

Wow! We’ve got some FAST typists around here!

Did you guys know there is an official competition for this?! Since there is such a variety of keyboards out there, it’s difficult to compare record holders, so there is now an online competition: The Ultimate Typing Championship. Utilizing the QWERTY keyboard, the current record holder is Sean Wrona, who is recorded to have typed at a top speed of 256 wpm.

Another impressive record holder is Russian typist Michael Shestov. Michael can speak and type in 27 languages, averaging 160 wpm. How can this man type faster in non native languages than most people can in their first? Apparently by practicing over 8 hours every day!

Some of you here are so young and so good already, we might be seeing your name topping the list at some point!

Keep up the hard work, everyone!
Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)

2 Likes

WOW !!!
That typing speed is Amazing :grin:
keep up the good work

2 Likes

It is indeed an awesome typing speed! I’m 8 years old and my typing speed is 34 WPM and my sis is 10 and her typing speed is 11 WPM.

2 Likes

@emdoggy7 - that’s an impressive speed for your age! How old were you when you started learning to type?

As a teacher, I’m very interested in hearing what you kids think of Typesy!
Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)

1 Like

I was only 7 when I first started learning to touch type on Typesy.

2 Likes