How did you learn touch typing, through a class or self-learning?

Is learning in a class how to touch type really effective given that there are many students to teach and each have different capability, or is it more ideal to practice alone?

I never had a typing class before, and I am not a good typist until I graduated in school. When I started working as a Data Analyst, I realized how essential this skill is so I started practicing on my own. I searched for typing sites, watched video tutorials, spared enough time to learn. I guess doing it alone is not a bad idea at all.

Hi,

There are many ways to learn to touch-type, and not every way will work for every typist. Some don’t do well in classroom settings. Some don’t learn well at home. Some people are easily distracted or don’t have the focus or determination to learn the skill properly. Most schools now start teaching and practicing touch-typing early on, as children as young as seven years old can learn to type and sit properly while typing. If you’re trying to learn now, you can usually find classes at local libraries, colleges, or vocational schools that will teach you to touch-type.

However, if you want to learn at home, there are free websites, software, and more that you can do by yourself at home if you’re able to commit to focusing and unlearning old habits. Additionally, if you’re particularly determined, you can put stickers over your keys so you can’t see them. This will force you to mentally map the keyboard as you use it. If you need help, you can tape a picture of your keyboard to the top of your monitor or screen for reference. Try not to rely on it too much.

Best Regards,
Lyka Remeticado
Community Associate at Typesy

@yasmintodd, this is an interesting point! It’s true that everyone learns differently and at their own pace, so you’re right that any typing program will need to be able to differentiate lessons to its learner.

Personally, typing wasn’t offered in my school, so I am primarily self-taught. However, I did make sure later in life to go back and learn proper finger positioning as I found I was spending way too much time having to go back and fix typing errors I was making. With how much we rely on computers nowadays, I’m very glad I took the time to learn in a more formal manner.

With Typesy, since each lesson is customized to its learner, the length of time needed for mastery varies. Typesy is designed to monitor each typist’s progress and adapt to their skill level, so no one will ever find themselves with lessons too easy or too difficult, regardless of how many classmates are participating in the lesson.

Regards,
Kerry