Does typing help you in any aspect that is computer-related?

I wanted to make sure that typing is worth the time and effort before I start practicing.

Hi,

Yes, typing is definitely beneficial in whichever aspect or situation such as:

School Activities - faster typing means it is easier to take notes, write journals and collaborate online.
Computerized Tests - test are now available online and knowing how to use the keyboard provides less worry when typing.
Daily Activities - with technology being used in almost anything, we definitely need to improve our keyboarding skills to achieve our goals. Typing is needed for social media such as Youtube, Facebook, or Instagram.
Future Jobs - any student that wishes to have a career in the technology industry will need to have typing knowledge (video gaming, blogging, etc.)

Best Regards,
Lyka Remeticado
Community Associate at Typesy

Hello, @antoniokidd!

You’re right to question this commitment - it does take a concerted effort to master this skill. That being said, I’d have to say that YES, exerting that effort now will benefit you so much over the long term.

For one, consider the time saved across an entire lifetime! Proficient, relatively speedy typing may not seem to be a skill that makes much of a difference every second of every day, but those seconds, minutes, and hours add up over a lifetime.

Additionally, a mastery of touch typing means avoiding some negative effects associated with other typing methods. The longer someone goes without formal keyboarding training, the longer they have to build bad habits. While it might seem fine to hunt-and-peck - especially if you’re pretty proficient at it - the long term effects can include irreversible physical harm so should not be taken lightly.

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)