Do you think DVORAK is better that QWERTY?

I have been using QWERTY my entire life but some people I know are comfortable with DVORAK and told me it was better so now I am gathering some information if this is worth the change.

1 Like

Hi!

It depends. I think if one was used to type using QWERTY, he may find it hard to use another layout but it really depends on your muscle memory.

Best Regards,
Arella Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

1 Like

Hello, @nasirball!

It’s too bad that there are so many keyboard layouts out in the world - it makes it so much harder to learn! Early typewriter typists had issues with keys getting jammed, so QWERTY was designed to avoid this. The thinking was to stretch commonly used letters apart, allowing your fingers to be less cramped when typing.

Touch typing can be taught on any keyboard, QWERTY or otherwise. However, since the core of touch typing is developing muscle memory, you’re right to note that mastery on one keyboard will not directly transfer to another as the keys will be placed differently. For this reason, it is important that you use only one keyboard type when initially learning keyboarding skills.

While I suppose it’s personal preference regarding which is “best,” make sure to consider the popularity of each, too. Are you located somewhere that the DVORAK layout is common? It could be frustrating to learn DVORAK only to never find the need for it!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)

1 Like