Typing Versus Voice Recognition

Why is typing still necessary when there is already voice recognition?

Hi,

So, why should you learn this skill when using your index fingers and Alexa’s voice-to-text technology feel so easy? Many experts agree that touch typing is efficient, accurate, and more physically comfortable than most other methods of typing. Once you’re used to it, it’ll feel like you never typed another way. Check out an article we have written that discusses the importance of touch typing:

Best Regards,
Lyka Remeticado
Community Associate at Typesy

Hello, @junoandrew!

You’re right to question this - technology is constantly changing, so it is possible typing will one day be fully replaced. However, I’m not sure we’re quite ready yet!

Firstly, the technology isn’t quite good enough. The amount of times Siri and Alexa misunderstand should give you an idea. Not only does speech recognition have these issues, there is the added difficulty of including grammar as well. Currently homophones seem to be the biggest stumbling block for speech recognition programs. The tech isn’t advanced enough to decipher word choice from context.

That being said, even if the technology was precise, I’m not sure it would entirely rid us of typing. Consider working in a noisy room - we can’t always control our environment, after all. Or perhaps you’re thinking out loud and say, “never mind, I don’t want to write that.” Now your vocalized thoughts have been added to your typed document. Think about the amount of time it would take to ensure the software translated your speech correctly - would typing not be more beneficial?

You may be on to something, and decades from now, I’m sure my response will seem ridiculously outdated. But for now, I think we’ve got some time before typing goes away!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)