Typing in laptop and desktop changes my typing speed

My typing speed decreases when I am typing in a laptop, why does this happen?

Hi there,

One reason is because it has different sizes unlike keyboard which has a standard size. Another one, maybe because broken laptop keyboards are harder to fix compared to desktop keyboards because it is separate from the monitor and people are just being careful not to damage the laptop.

Best Regards,
Aidan Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @aryanwalkson!

Our brains play funny tricks sometimes! Touch typing can be taught on any keyboard, QWERTY or otherwise. However, since the core of touch typing is developing muscle memory, mastery on one keyboard will not directly transfer to another as the keys will be placed differently. For this reason, it is important to try to use only one keyboard type when initially learning keyboarding skills. Your brain is trying to memorize how far your fingers have to move to reach certain keys. Since the size of a keyboard varies between laptops and desktops, your fingers will get confused by the change in distance.

My guess is that you’ll type best on any keyboard that’s close to your desktop keyboard, since it sounds like that’s the keyboard layout your brain committed to memory!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)