Is there an age limit in learning how to touch type?

I am already 42 and I wanted to know if it is possible to learn how to touch type.

1 Like

Anyone at any age can learn touch typing. As long as typing is important to help you carry out your tasks, you can always learn.

2 Likes

You can’t be too old to learn to touch-type. The primary worry or older typists learning the touch-typing method is that they need more than just the will to learn a new skill. You also have to be ready and able to unlearn your old bad habits, such as hunching over the keyboard to peck at individual letters.

Unlearning your bad habits is usually the most time-consuming part of learning to touch-type. It also tends to be the most difficult part of the process, depending on your age and how long it is that you’ve been typing with the hunt-and-peck method. Some older typists that have switched techniques with great success suggest using the Mavis Beacon software to do so.

Additionally to having the right mindset and tools, you need to remember that you should allow your fingers to rest while practicing or typing. I you’re much older and have arthritic joints, you may need to take more frequent breaks to avoid undue stress on your fingers.

1 Like

I agree @isabellewright .

2 Likes

I agree too. if there are jobs with typing, you can never be too old. especially in corona, with online classes. we type there!