Is hunt-and-peck an inappropriate typing method?

My average typing speed is from 60 - 70 WPM but I am only using my two fingers to type. Am I considered good typist or is it really necessary to learn using 10 fingers?

1 Like

You have an awesome typing speed! It’s not actually bad to type using only two fingers, but if you have a time and resources to learn touch typing (or the use of 10 fingers), then it’s more advisable.

1 Like

The two-finger, hunt-and-peck typing methods aren’t going to cause the end of the world if you use them. At least, we hope not. The worst parts of these methods is that they’re inefficient and uncomfortable.

Does your spine ever hurt after you’ve been at your school or work desk all day in front of that computer or laptop? That’s likely due to having to hunch over the keyboard to hunt down and peck out the right key for what you’re trying to convey in your document or assignment. Your wrists and fingers will also likely start to hurt using these methods, from stiffness of pecking out individual keys with a straight-angled finger, to the uncomfortable placement your wrists may occasionally find between finding keys.

Gradually add more fingers as you type and practice not looking at the keyboard while you progress through a document, and you’ll find that you’re able to sit up straighter and feel more comfortable while working.

1 Like

I don’t think it is completely ‘Necessary’ to learn how to type with all 10 fingers, but it is a great thing to know how to do.

2 Likes

yeah I think it would be good to know with all ten fingers and it is faster if you now the key board by heart.

1 Like

That is a good thing to know! Thank you!

1 Like

I used to do hunt and peck and sometimes still do :blush:
It’s hard to brake a habbit ,
How do I help brake my habbit when I am just starting to type I usually need to type on a daily basis ?

1 Like

Wow, @haroldsmith! The average typist can type somewhere around 41 WPM, so to be typing at your speed with only two fingers is pretty impressive! I will echo the sentiments of others on this thread to say that if it’s working for you, I don’t see why you can’t continue!

That being said, it is awfully hard to hunt and peck in a way that is physically sustainable, so be careful! Hunt and peck typists usually have their wrists angled too harshly for comfortable long term use. Touch typing is more conducive to better posture and positioning. You should be holding your wrists in a neutral position, with the thumb running parallel to the forearm, the wrist bending only slightly upwards.

As for breaking the habit, @bcole42, it is a hard thing to do! It can be especially frustrating when learning to touch type because you may initially be faster at hunt and peck. I would suggest using your old method when on a time crunch - when you just need to get something typed! If you have the time, though, definitely continue transitioning out of hunt and peck. The more you practice, the faster that transition will be!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know!

3 Likes