Is 80 WPM a normal speed for a 7th grader?

I want to go for 100 WPM and how will I achieve it?

Hi,

Most seventh graders type with a typing speed of about 40 to 50 wpm, depending on the gender of the student. This isn’t necessarily because one gender of student is better at typing than the other, it simply seems to be the trend found in research studies concerning typing students.

For any gender seventh grader to type at 80 wpm is impressive and means that you are, compared to the averages found by research studies and surveys, more than twice as proficient with your typing skills than your peers.

There are many jobs that only require a 65 wpm typing speed, but there are also jobs that require a minimum of 80 wpm. If you’re interested in a career as a professional typist, you will want to continue improving your typing speed as well as practicing your typing accuracy for the best results and options in the future.

Best Regards,
Lyka Remeticado
Community Associate at Typesy

Hello, @fletcherwallace!

80 WPM is an impressive speed for any age but especially so for only being in 7th grade. A 100 WPM is a worthy goal, and I think with enough practice and determination, you could work your way there.

Are you typing using the touch typing method? I would suggest you test your speed and accuracy without looking at the keyboard. In all likelihood, readjusting to the touch typing method will improve your overall typing ability in the long run, if pursuing this level of speed is your goal.

It is important to note that a high WPM with low accuracy is not a desirable goal; the amount of time needed to correct typing errors should be taken into account when testing a true WPM. Make sure to only push yourself faster when you’re ready.

Good luck! Please come back and post again to keep us up to date with your progress!

Regards,
Kerry