Harm caused by hunt and peck

Is there a harmful effect of hunt and peck typing?

2 Likes

Hi Pearce,

Actually, there can be a lot of harm. Graduates who type improperly for life have a higher risk of suffering repetitive strain injuries and carpal tunnel syndrome. Not to mention all the hours they waste being less productive both in school and, later, at work.

Best Regards,
Aidan Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

2 Likes

Hi Pearce,

Using two or three fingers to hunt and peck takes much longer and allows for the development of bad habits. It is much better to keep your hands still and allow for efficient use of all fingers. Touch typing involves the specific placements of all eight fingers and both thumbs; once muscle memory is strong enough, this style allows for the typist to focus on the screen rather than the keyboard.

In the end, you can type much faster and more efficiently if you learn the touch typing method. This gives you an advantage whether you are typing for school, work or for social reasons. Think about what you can do with all that extra time!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)

2 Likes

Hi Pearce!

I used to use this method. But now since I have learned how to type properly with Typesy, I don’t have to!
I can type with a WPM speed of, around 30. My accuracy is usually around 95-85. And you are hearing these stats and this mature reply from a nine year old.
Thank you for reading,
Alice Belle Carr at your service

1 Like