Causes of Having Carpal Tunnel

Are there other causes of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome aside from typing?

Hi!

Yes. Even if you don’t type constantly, things like swimming, tennis, and weight lifting can cause CTS as well.

Best Regards,
Arella Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @shakirbownan!

Personally, I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. When it flares up, due to over activity, typing becomes really uncomfortable. I was initially a self-taught typist, and I know my lack of proper posture and hand positioning when typing added to the development of my CTS. Now knowing the touch typing technique, and having learned of the proper ways to hold my body, I find myself getting flare ups far less.

That being said, anything that stresses the nerves running up and down your arms can contribute to CTS. I suggest looking into proper posture to ensure you’re being as safe as possible. For me, relaxing my arms was a game changer. When you hold your elbows bent tighter than 90 degrees, the nerves running down to your hands get all squished up and this causes pain, numbing, and tingling in the fingers. Try stretching out your arms as much as possible and keep your shoulders relaxed.

No matter what, be safe!
Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)