Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Does touch typing fix CTS or RSI?

Hi Levison,

Yes, touch typing reduces your risk of developing RSI, or repetitive strain injury. Carpal tunnel syndrome and other stress-related injuries may need to be corrected by painful surgeries and expensive medication or injections. In addition, you’ll probably have to take time off work to get these problems fixed. If you can lower the risk of incurring these injuries in the first place, you won’t have to worry about spending more money on medical expenses, or losing more money by missing work days.

Best Regards,
Aidan Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @levisonweber!

I’m not sure about “fix,” but I can personally attest to just how much knowing proper positioning and hand placement relieves discomfort due to nerve damage. I personally suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. When it flares up, due to over activity, typing can certainly become uncomfortable.

Whenever I can start to feel a flare up coming on, I simply wear a wrist brace for a few days. A metal bar in the brace keeps my wrist in a neutral position. Giving my wrist a break from movement for a couple of days always seems to take care of the problem. I’ll sometimes wear the brace preemptively as well, if I know I will be moving my hands and arms a lot, like, if I know I’m in for a long day of typing.

So for me, learning all aspects of touch typing has really been beneficial. Hope that helps to answer your question!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)