What is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?

I heard the term Carpal Tunnel Syndrome related to typing. What is it?

Hi!

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a major concern for millions of people who type during a large part of their workday. Web programmers, writers, data analysts, and many other office workers, scientists, and professionals will experience some discomfort in their hands and wrist after repetitive motions.

Best Regards,
Arella Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @khalildolan!

I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. When it flares up, due to over activity, typing can certainly become uncomfortable. CTS is a relatively common condition that presents as pain, tingling, or full numbness in the hands and arms caused by the nerves running along the arm being squeezed.

Luckily CTS is as manageable as it is common. Whenever I can start to feel a flare up coming on, I simply wear a wrist brace for a few days. A metal bar in the brace keeps my wrist in a neutral position. Giving my wrist a break from movement for a couple of days always seems to take care of the problem. I’ll sometimes wear the brace preemptively as well, if I know I will be moving my hands and arms a lot, like, if I know I’m in for a long day of typing.

Hope that helps answer your question!
Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)