Breaking bad habits

I’m almost 60 yrs old with a lifetime of bad typing habits. Sitting at a 1.3 rating right now. How much time per day is a reasonable amount to spend in typesy to get better? What is a reasonable goal?

Hi there,

Age is just a number and typing does not require age limit. As long as you have the determination and goal to learn then you are on the right track. Basing on my own experience, it takes minimum 1 week to learn basic typing (30 wpm) and 10-15 days to get a typing speed of 40-70 wpm with daily practice of 2–3 hours. All it takes is your determination and the time per day which you give to practice.

Practice will not make you perfect instead it will make you more skillful as to which your fingers will get to familiarize where the letters and keys are placed then it will be esier for you to touch type.

Thank you,
Ara

Fair enough, and it would be awesome to get to 30 WPM in a week! With that said, would I be better served with the interactive or professional curriculum choice?

Hi Bruce,

Yeah right!

Well for starter like you it would be best if you start in the interactive phase since basics are in there and once you’ll get to familiarize to can definitely move to the Professional phase.

Thank you.

Regards,
Ara

1 Like

Hi, Bruce!
We’re happy to have you here - it’s never too late to learn a new skill and improve on old habits!

To help you in setting goals for yourself, it might be helpful to know that the average typist can type 41 words per minute (WPM); typing at or above 57 WPM is deemed above average. But it’s important to maintain those good typing habits - a high WPM with low accuracy is not a desirable goal. Don’t push yourself too fast if you find you’re making a lot of mistakes.

If you’re looking to master touch typing, a reasonable goal may be to work towards that 41 WPM level.

Regards,
Typesy Team

hello! i am 33 and have spent all my life hunting keys without knowing how to touch type. I told myself that enough is enough and same way Bruce has done i would like to be able to type around 100 words per minute. How much time do you think it will take me if i practice 15 minutes a day?

Hi!

Good for you for giving yourself this goal!

While achievable, 100 words per minute (WPM) is quite a high goal. In general, the average typist can type 41 WPM; typing at or above 57 WPM is deemed above average. It is important to note that a high WPM with low accuracy is not a desirable goal; the amount of time needed to correct typing errors should be taken into account when testing a true WPM. So when you’re learning, keep in mind that you should only push yourself to go faster once you are able to type comfortably at a given speed without too many mistakes.

If practiced consistently on a daily basis, your typing skills are bound to improve dramatically in a matter of weeks. With Typesy, since each lesson is customized to its learner, the length of time needed for mastery varies. Typesy is designed to monitor your progress and adapt to your skill level.

Developing muscle memory requires time, patience, and repetition. No one will master keyboarding after one lesson, but with about 15 minutes of daily practice, you should be more than proficient in touch typing within 2 or 3 months.

You’re going to do great!

Regards,
Typesy Team

1 Like