Body position when typing

How should I position my body when I’m typing?

Hi Arnie,

The best way to type is sitting straight up at a flat surface, like a desk or table, with your elbows positioned at right angles away from the keyboard. Bending your arms, like hunching over a laptop or tablet, can strain your body and make it harder to type. Feel free to rest your wrists on the table, but try not to put any weight on them – you want your hands to feel free and airy if you’re going to beat those world records!

Thanks, and I hope that helped.

Best Regards,
Aidan Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @arnierubio!

That is a great question! As with any physical movement, too much can cause strain, so staying aware of your body posture and hand positioning is crucial in avoiding long term damage. Sit with your feet flat on the floor and your back straight. Shoulders should be relaxed and elbows bent no tighter than 90°. Always check that you are holding your wrists in a neutral position, with the thumb running parallel to the forearm, the wrist bending only slightly upwards. If you feel your wrists hitting the keyboard or desk, reposition. And of course utilize healthy habits like taking typing breaks and properly stretching hands and fingers.

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)