2 finger typing to touch typing?

Do I still need to learn touch typing even if I already have a pretty good speed using 2 fingers?

Hi!

If you’ve learned to type, you’ve probably tried the trusty method of “hunting and pecking,” otherwise known as the two-finger or Brady method. There’s something secure about typing this way, because you can confirm easily after each keystroke that the letter you selected is the letter you got. However, this method is slower, less accurate, and can cause strain to your body, because it invites poor posture for your hands and neck. It’s a lot harder to type well when you’re battling tendonitis!

Best Regards,
Arella Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @emanuelwilliam!

Personally, I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. When it flares up, due to over activity, typing becomes really uncomfortable. I was initially a self-taught typist, and I know my lack of proper posture and hand positioning when typing added to the development of my CTS. Now knowing the touch typing technique, and having learned of the proper ways to hold my body, I find myself getting flare ups far less.

I suggest looking into proper posture to ensure you’re being as safe as possible. For me, relaxing my arms was a game changer. When you hold your elbows bent tighter than 90 degrees, the nerves running down to your hands get all squished up and this causes pain, numbing, and tingling in the fingers. Try stretching out your arms as much as possible and keep your shoulders relaxed.

No matter what, be safe!
Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)