Is gamification essential for learning?

As an educational software developer, will gamification bring benefit to the children?

Hi!

The gamification of learning and education at large has truly advanced in the last few years. Learning shouldn’t feel like learning at all, the theory goes, it should feel more like play. The process of studying shouldn’t be difficult; it should be a pleasant pastime that leads to greater knowledge and skill development. Games are especially important for children and teens, because it removes any sense that they’re working hard. Even adults like to have fun while they learn.

Best Regards,
Arella Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @kelseylarson!

What a fabulous question! In my experience, learning stops when engagement stops. In order for my students to learn, I know I have to keep them focused, motivated, and on task. As soon as I lose their interest, it doesn’t matter how well I can teach, the students won’t gain anything.

This is where the power of stories and games can truly strengthen a student’s learning experience. For example, I load in weekly spelling words into Typesy games. Since starting, my students don’t complain about spelling practice!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)