Will games help improve typing?

My child is having more fun doing the typing games rather than the typing courses so I am a bit worried about this. Will playing games constantly not cause any danger?

Hi!

Fun means you are more likely to stick with something and not give up on it after a short period of time! It takes a long time and a lot of practice to master any skill, and playing games along the way will help keep your brain engaged and keep your interest while you are typing. Everyone would rather be typing to beat a clock or an opponent instead of just typing the same phrase over and over and over again. That would get boring after a while!

Games should absolutely be involved as part of learning typing for everyone! Especially if you are teaching young children who already have a notoriously low attention span, incorporate a great way to keep them involved in learning, and excited to perfect their typing skills.

Best Regards,
Arella Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hi there, @macksteadman!

This is a great question - I think many people make the unfortunate assumption that learning can’t be fun! Games are engaging and motivational, and the world of education has been evolving to harness these aspects for the good of learning! Many educational courses now utilize games as part of their academic lessons.

Of course, you are absolutely right to be wary of overuse. Screen time - even if being used for educational purposes - should be monitored and regulated.

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)