Do I need touch typing for an admin job?

I am planning to apply as an admin assistant to I want to know if my typing ability matters.

Yes. This might be the job most commonly associated with advanced typing. It is a detail-oriented position that can be found across sectors, from medical settings to large corporations. Administrative assistants can be entry-level workers as well as high-level employees (sometimes called executive assistants).

Administrative assistants are expected to have strong communication skills as well and are generally responsible for intraoffice messaging, document creation, dictation services, and report generation.

Best Regards,
Aidan Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello there, @mandybritt!

Assuming the application process is not timed, you will likely have the ability to work and rework your application to perfection before submitting, so you won’t need to worry much about typing at that point.

I’d argue, though, that good typing skills are necessary for most jobs in the 21st century workplace, so once your application is approved, you’ll really be wanting those typing skills handy! In general, typing around 45 WPM is deemed average. With administrative work specifically, touch typing would allow you to focus on your screen rather than the keys.

It has been a while since you posted, but I am wishing you the best of luck in all!

Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)