Why do my fingers get numb when typing?

Whenever I am typing a lot of material, I sometimes suffer form numbing. how can I cure this?

Hi there,

Maybe because of muscle tension especially if you are not taking a break.

All parts of your body are involved in typing – your brain, your eyes, the muscles of your shoulder and back and legs, and even your ears if you’re doing dictation or listening for the ‘ding’ of your computer’s automatic spell-check feature that helps you quickly correct your mistakes. But the parts that do the most work, and suffer the most stress, are your hands and fingers.

Best Regards,
Aidan Bernales
Community Moderator at Typesy

Hello, @rehaanrudd!

If you are at all worried, please take yourself to a doctor as no amount of advice here can replace that!
That being said, pain, numbness, and tingling of the hands from typing are quite common complaints.

Let me guess - your pinky goes numb first, right?

More likely than not it has to do with your elbows. Do you type with your arms kept tighter than a ninety degree angle? If so, you’re scrunching nerves that run along your arm which could be why your fingers are numbing.

I suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right wrist. I was initially a self-taught typist, and I know my lack of proper posture and hand positioning when typing added to the development of my CTS. Now knowing the touch typing technique, and having learned of the proper ways to hold my body, I find myself getting flare ups far less.

Hope that helps!
Regards,
Alex (The Reimagined Classroom Teacher)