What are the benefits of learning how to touch type?

My sister has been telling me to practice touch typing because it’s important. I just want to know what are the possible benefits I can get with good typing skills? I am using computer on a daily basis, but so far, I am fine with my work. Will increasing my typing speed create any difference?

Hi,

Being able to type without looking at the keyboard is a valuable skill with a variety of uses. Instead of wasting time hunting down each key, you can type quickly and confidently. You can focus on any potential errors as they appear on your screen rather than having to back-track to fix your mistakes.

Eventually, with enough practice, you won’t think about the process of typing at all. This will let you concentrate on what you want or need to type. If you have to look at what you are typing you can’t be doing much of anything else. You’ll be focused on mentally preparing for the next sentence, typing it slowly, then preparing for the next line.

Touch-typing lets your brain do all of the work of mapping your keyboard and striking keys, while you focus on your screen or monitor to catch any mistakes, like spelling or grammatical errors, that might occur.

Best Regards,
Lyka Remeticado
Community Associate at Typesy

The time needed for any given digital task will be affected by your typing skill, and while it may not add up to much in the moment, that time can quickly stack up over weeks and months! Once accomplished, the ability to touch type will yield positive results for the rest of your life and is therefore decidedly worth dedicating time to.

Regards,
Kerry